Saturday, March 16, 2013

slow cooker pulled pork

How I came to cook this is a bit of a tale. I had invited some friends for supper but they had to cancel and the pork butt I bought to make this was sitting in the fridge. It seemed too fancy to cook that recipe for just us, and I remembered SBS talking about this recipe on one of her Another Mother Runner podcasts so I looked up the recipe and away I went. First thing is that this is easy. Second, your kitchen will smell divine while this cooks away. And it makes lots. My pork was twice the size that the recipe called for so I doubled everything and still have packets of meat left in my freezer for those nights when dinner needs to be quick. We've had the leftovers twice in pulled pork tacos but the first night, I served it as per the recipe with our version of spicy broccoli slaw.



Slow Cooker Pulled Pork (from Real Simple)
1 1/2  medium yellow onions, chopped
1/2 c tomato paste
1/2 c packed light brown sugar
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp smoked paprika
4 tbsp apple cider vinegar
salt and pepper
3 lbs pork shoulder, trimmed and cut into 6 pieces

In a large slow cooker, mix together the yellow onion, tomato paste, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, paprika, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Add the pork and turn to coat. Cover and cook until the pork is very tender, on low for 7 to 8 hours. Using 2 forks, shred the pork and mix it into the cooking liquid. Serve the pork and onions on toast with broccoli slaw.

No comments: